Enjoying Woodworking in a Tiny Shop Even More (VR Tour)

In a prior post, I showed my setup for maximizing a tiny space to create an oasis for woodworking. An enjoyable workshop promotes efficiency and makes you want to stay there to actually get things done. A shop should be comfortable in the winter and summer. My shop started out as a general DIY spot. I placed tools on the wall as I acquired them. Now, I spend most of my shop time woodworking. I have no idea why I waited so long to rearrange the tools for better use. I guess it was because things were still all within reach, only behind me. With the excitement of a new project, the workshop setup often took a backseat. My new plan:

At least once a year, reassess my workshop needs, and surround myself with what is important.

The new setup. Main workbench. With a tiny shop, all tools need to return back in their place after use. That is why I prefer the tools in the open rather than in a tool chest.

New setup with auxiliary workbench from repurposed materials.

Old shop arrangement

Old shop

The main impetus for the major rearrangement was the purchase of an antique drill press that now sits just to the right as I enter through the white door (see VR tour below). The electric drill press used up a lot of space in my 6' x 10' shop for the number of times I used it. It found a new home in the garage along with the bandsaw, planer and dust collector. It was now like a chess match. The empty space from the drill press sitting on top of the red utility cart allowed me to move a small tool chest in that spot. This opened the top of a cabinet to the left as I enter the shop that held my wooden hand planes. I then realized that the top surface of the cabinet could be used as a work surface, but it was much too small. I came up with a new plan to make a larger auxiliary workbench and trash the cabinet. A cheap, but solid nightstand found at a flea market (at least that is what I am hoping it is—and not a baby changing table) got me started. This served as a cabinet for the workbench. "Two-by" yellow pine of various widths framed the nightstand for a workbench base. This frame is held together with carriage bolts and dovetailed stretchers. A two-inch-thick vintage top completed the workbench. Now my golf clubmaker's vise has a new home. Screw the Moxon vise (pun intended), the golf club vise works just fine.

Small workbench with cabinet replacing the cabinet in the above photo.





Down came the rivet gun, the wire strippers and the glass cutters on the wall in front of my main workbench. Up came the woodworking planes, spokeshaves and rasps. Here's a new VR tour:



'Til the next major overhaul...

Comments

  1. As another guy with a small shop, your use of wall space is impressive! My bedroom shop has 2 doors,2 windows and a closet with bifold doors. All hog wall storage space. The windows are great. Skylights would be better!

    I also find it nearly impossible to keep my small shop clean. Dust and chips end up everywhere and then they are difficult to get to. I marvel at the cleanliness of your shop. I just don’t have it in me!

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without a lack of wall space, did you consider using a dedicated hand tool cabinet where the hand tools are hung within the cabinet as well as within the inside part of the doors? Of course, you could also make a copy of the famous Studley tool chest, which ought to keep you busy for a while. https://youtu.be/ZVEKmlhP2Ss

      Hope to see a club soon from your skilled hands.

      Delete
  2. Elm - I have 4 tool chests, (2 for lathe accessories, 1 for drill bits and miscellaneous and one for carving tools and stuff). The. A big bookcase filled with turning stock and finishing stuff. Then I have a big closet with shelves filled with stuff. Bottom line - I have too much stuff. I also have a table saw jammed into an alcove, taking up floor space. A noisy, scary beast! I have been trying to give it away to someone who will actually use it but I still have it. Way back I had a full 20x50 basement. Indoor wood storage, stationary power tools. Those were the good old days!

    Still thinking about how to start on a club. I found a dense log of some kind of wood at the local tree service (which is conveniently located right next door to me!). Apple is my guess. I am thinking it wood make a good club head. I need to rough it our and let it dry. And then there’s the shaft....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I got the drill press out of my shop, that freed up so much space. If you still use your table saw a lot, best to keep it. Otherwise, getting rid of it might motivate you to entirely rearrange your shop for a more efficient space.
      It should be easy enough to get some kiln-dried hickory for golf shafts. I haven't seen a dramatic performance difference. I am not entirely convinced that kiln-dried lumber is any different mechanically than air-dried, as long as it is done right.

      Delete
    2. I have a nice straight ash log in my garage. Would make a bunch of shafts. I can’t find my splitting wedges. Too big for a froe. Those wedges are on the property somewhere!

      I haven’t used my table saw in years. I would like to give it to someone. A carpenter who did some work on our house wanted it but he never came back to pick it up! So it is currently being used as a table and not a saw.

      Delete
    3. Ash is a challenge. When tuning it up to final flex, it is very easy to go from too stiff to too whippy in a blink.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts